When should I apply for financial aid?

As soon as possible, preferably by May 15, the Financial Aid Office issues financial aid on a first-come, first-served basis, so the earlier you fill out your application, the better. It also ensures that your aid will be ready on the first day of school.

When are FAFSA applications available?

Applications are available the first working day of January for the upcoming academic year. Current year applications are available on an ongoing basis.

When are CCS Foundation scholarship applications available

Scholarship applications are available in November for the following school year. Applications are due in March for fall quarter. For additional scholarship opportunities, check out the scholarship pages at SCC and SFCC.

Why do I have to give my parents' financial information?
Parent information is used because parents have the primary responsibility for funding a college education. Parent information is not necessary if you are independent.

How do I know if I'm an independent student?

By federal definition, you are considered independent if you meet one or more of the following criteria:
  • You are 24 years or older 
  • You are working on a degree beyond a bachelor’s degree
  • You are married by the date you filed your FAFSA
  • You are a ward of the court or both parents are deceased and you do not have an adoptive parent. If you were a ward of the court until the age of 18, submit documentation showing your release from court custody upon reaching age 18.
  • You have legal dependents that fit the following definition:

A legal dependent is a person for whom you provide and will continue to provide more than half of their support. Legal dependents can be children and other people who live in your house, not including your spouse. 

  • You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces. You are considered a veteran if you have engaged in active service in the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard and were released under a condition other than dishonorable.  
What if my parents are divorced and I only live with one of them?
Provide the information for the parent with whom you lived with the majority of time. If you live with each parent equally, provide the information for the parent who provides more than half of your support. 

What if I have a special situation?

Come talk with a financial aid officer. The financial aid rules are primarily written by the federal government. However, CCS financial aid offers have some ability to make adjustments to your financial aid award based on special situations.

I don't think I qualify for aid. Should I still apply?

Yes. Not everyone is eligible for all forms of aid, but many students are eligible for something. Besides, financial aid forms are free and (relatively) easy to fill out.