Protecting yourself from identity theft
Securing your mail and destroying private records and statements are two primary means of reducing the risk of identity theft. In addition, don't leave a "paper trail" -- be sure to take credit and debit card and ATM receipts with you.
- Keep your Social Security Card in a secure place.
- Be vigilant about home and work computer security.
- Don't share personal or financial information over the telephone or computer. Using the telephone number provided on a statement or report, you can always check with a company's customer service department to see if such requests are legitimate.
- Simplify your life! Get off or telemarketers' lists by registering with the national Do Not Call Registry -- 1-888-382-1222 or www.donotcall.gov -- and reduce credit card solicitations by calling 888-5-OPT OUT or https://www.optoutprescreen.com
- Review monthly credit card and bank reports carefully and check your credit report annually.